“One of the most effective and expressive environmental films of recent years.” – Variety
“On the want-to-see- scale, GASLAND tops the list” – Washington Post
“Riveting” – LA Weekly
“GASLAND just might be the best film of the year.” – The Huffington Post
The largest domestic natural gas drilling boom in history has swept across the United States. The Halliburton-developed drilling technology of “fracking” or hydraulic fracturing has unlocked a “Saudia Arabia of natural gas” just beneath us. The Reel Power film for March, Gasland, asks the important question- Is fracking safe?
Gasland started as a personal journey when filmmaker Josh Fox was asked to lease his family land in Pennsylvania for drilling. Determined to find the truth, Josh embarked on a cross-country odyssey with a camera and his trusty banjo, uncovering a trail of secrets and contamination. It was an odyssey that would change his life and culminated in a critically acclaimed and now Oscar-nominated documentary. Since it’s premier on HBO, Fox has been tireless in his campaign to raise awareness about the dangers posed by the natural gas industry. Recently he and Oscar-nominated actor and Gasland fan Mark Ruffallo held a press conference in Washington D.C. and spoke with members of Congress about the need for a National Moratorium on Hydraulic Fracturing to protect our nation’s drinking water.
1) Tune In to the Academy Awards on February 27th on ABC at 8p.m. EST to cheer Gasland on and Take Action during the broadcast with your friends by writing President Obama a letter asking for his support of the FRAC Act and for a National Moratorium on Hydraulic Fracturing.
2) Spread the word by Hosting a House Party of Oscar-nominated Gasland in March. A house party is a great way to engage your community with the issue of hydraulic fracturing while providing important information about the recent boom in gas drilling across the nation. Use the home screening toolkit to help plan your party.
3) Stay Connected to the Reel Power Film series and plan ahead. Our April featured film will be Sun Come Up.
And the Oscar goes to….
The Gasland team has put together a great how-to guide to help you plan and execute a stellar Oscar party that will lead to meaningful actions by your friends and community:
At 8:00 P.M. EDT on February 27, 2011 Gasland will be among the nominees for Best Documentary Feature at the 83rd Academy Awards™ in Los Angeles. We want you to invite your friends and family over to watch the ceremony together and to take immediate action to urge Congress and President Obama to support the FRAC Act and a national moratorium on Hydraulic Fracturing.
Here are some ways to get started:
1) Invite your guests via email, phone or listserv. Tweet about it (our hashtag is #gaslandmovie) create a Facebook Event (& join our Facebook fan page).
2) The better the snacks, the better the party. In the spirit of supporting environmental sustainability, purchase ingredients from your local farmer’s market or plan a group potluck made up of dishes with local ingredients. To cut down on waste, do not use disposable cutlery or plates and have a recycling bin visibly placed in your home.
3) At 8PM EST tune into the show on ABC and cheer on Gasland!
4) Have a computer accessible so your guests can immediately email the President, join the Gasland fan page on Facebook and sign up for our e-mail list. Hand out the pre-printed letter to President Obama to your guests, collect the completed letters and mail them right away.
5) The day after, send a thank you e-mails to your guests with links to our partner organizations.